Sunday, June 20, 2010

So Nerdy: Furry

Who doesn't like a first blog post? And heck, who doesn't like a first blog post that talks about the [3rd] nerdiest thing known to man (read: geek chart )?

So I don't really keep it a secret, nor do I shout it to the clouds that I'm a furry. I'm no creepy pervert furry, as most of the outside world is quick to label all furries as. I'm not a babyfur, nor do I have any manner of creepy fetish associated with furryism.

I just like cartoons, thats it.  I'm just a grownup that like drawing cartoons.

There is one part of furry I have enjoyed since the early 90's, long before I ever found out what furry was. I personally didn't think was weird at all until I had 'officially' been an furry for a few years that I realized just how niche it is. Ever since I saw the original Ninja Turtle movies, I've wanted one of those costumes.

So over the last 3 or 4 years, since I found the furry subculture I've found that there are a bunch of other people who have costumes (aka: fursuits) and have entire conventions around grown ups who like cartoons (fursuit not required).

So I've spent some time and some money on attempts to create my own fursuits. First there was Orlith, my dragon character. Her costume turned out like crap, but it taught me a lot, I've since ditched the crappy body part, but I have the head still, as crappy as it is, smiling away in my basement. Then there was the fursuit that never was, Rehka the Red Panda.  While I did manage to make a sweater of her character,  I was so particular about the shade the fur had to be, I never got past sculpting her head (which turned out even crappier than my Orlith head somehow O_o) I trashed maybe $10 worth of foam and plastic on that.oh well, you live you learn.

Now theres dear old Nameless. The costume born of frustration at not being able to find the right colour of fur material for Rehka the Red Panda. Her body is almost done, I just need to finish sewing, but she is as of yet headless. I learned an important lesson from Nameless: don't bother with duct tape dummies (a kind of poor mans dressmaker dummy). Especially if your pregnant.What a waste of duct tape and newspaper that was! I got a much better fit just by tracing out patterns from my clothes, the dummy was all but useless, plus I made it look like I had a dead body in the house, which was weird.

Sorry about the rambling, I wanted my first post to be something I was familiar with, something that no one really knows about me and something i could kind of vent about all in one... tah dah! Perfect topic! ^_^

~Rehka

(PS: if you care, my character (known as a fursona in the furry world) isn't Rehka the Red Panda anymore, its turned into Rehka the White Mouse of late.  costume i will attempt as soon as i have the money for it i suppose ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment