Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My identity: Nerd^5 vlog post supplemental

So I babbled on about how my identity is always changing in my most recent Nerd^5 video but I never really touched on any real aspects of my identity in it, which I had originally planned to do, apparently I am a scatterbrain so that didn't happen. There is a lot of stuff I can identify myself with, and I doubt I'll remember it all in this post but the ones that come to mind likely make up the majority of my identity...right?

Being Tuesday of Nerds to the Power of 5 has quickly become an important part of my identity. This group of... not just some of, but the best friends I have had in a very long time, has since February, cheerfully and possibly unwittingly helped coax me out of a shell that has been in place and hardening for 4 or more years. Week after themed week my shyness is ebbed away... I truly look forward to the day when my shyness is gone completely. To a lesser extent,  being a Youtuber in general is helping me break out of my shell. While its not a large part of my identity, it is a niche I enjoy.

Being a mom, though a role I was thrust into kicking and screaming and full of apprehension at the age of only 18, is important to me, and important to my identity. My two kids, ages 4 and 16 months, mean more to me than I ever thought two tiny human beings ever could. Having someone so dependant and watching them grow into their own independent person, while at times can be a struggle, defines not only my life, but theirs, their fathers, grandparents and a host of extended family. "I'm a mom" is one of the first things I use to describe myself to others.




I would say I'm quite a Canadian patriot. I love my country as much as anyone can love the dirt beneath their feet. I'll dress in read an white, memorize the Molson "I am Canadian" speech, watch Canadian programming, and participate in all manner of stereotypical (and non-stereotypical) Canadianisms. Because it's fun, and I can. Because I Am Canadian.

I am a fan of many things. Sometimes I can get a little obsessive (anyone remember that time in the early 2000's when I collected all those transformer toys? yeah...) every fandom I've been a part of, however, is a piece of my identity. Fandoms (or collections) I enjoy include, but are not limited to: the Harry Potter books, the Transformers, Doctor Who, furry's, Ninja Turtles, Dresden, stuffed animals, hamsters, dragons, Anne McCaffery, Diskworld, Corner Gas, kites and a multitude of others... take away any one of those, and you've taken a little bit of me away, changed who I am.

I conciser myself, too, to be an amateur artist [warning: link maybe NSFW, not my art, but others who are on the site.] and have been so for several years.  I draw, sew, sculpt and generally art-it-up whenever the opportunity arises. Being an artist is a big part of my identity, and has been for many, many years.

Thats all the defining pieces I can think of now,  a little look into my life as a while, made up of the things I enjoy and care for.

1 comment:

  1. That makes so much sense, I've been looking at the things that I'm not instead of the things that I am.
    You seem to have such a grasp on how you are, and what makes you you.
    I'm glad that we (the nerds) have been able to help you. I say with out a doubt that you're one of my 3 best friends, probablly number 2, and even though I've never offically met you, I'm really glad that I have you even if most of our convostations are 140 characters or less. :)

    ReplyDelete